Hey People,
Well, we're on week five (I think?) and I've been in Astrakhan for a whole, long month. Our schedule has slowed down a lot but we still have to do weird things. For example, on Monday we went and toured the science/engineering laboratories at their other campus in the center of town. I would say that I've never done anything more interesting in my life, but of course I have. After the tour, we had a 15 minute presentation on the ecological system of Astrakhan and what animals inhabit this area (aside from the million stray cats and dogs). Yesterday, we spoke with students in the foreign languages department. My group was really nice and the girls told me about russkii rock bands that I should check out. I bought a CD today and it's awesome!
This week has been really annoying because they didn't give us any free time or time to be on the Internet and we had a very full, long schedule. Also, we wait around all the time: for the bus, for our teachers, for our lunch, basically for everything. I think I'm going to take up smoking just so I have something to do while we wait. Yesterday, I thought that I would have some time to write this letter, but our lecture/excursion to the very off campus science/engineering labs (which are different from the off campus labs that are still within city limits) went over the allotted time as usual and they drove us back to a theater instead of school! Since I didn't sign up to see the movie, I had to find my way own way home.
I improved in all sections on the last test, but my test scores (excluding writing, apparently I write well in all languages) aren't as high as I'd like. My participation points doubled (from 20% to 40%!!). It's kind of funny though because we never really get the opportunity to participate in class...in grammar, we just read exercises for an hour and half; three hours on Wednesdays. Morale for everyone is pretty low because we're all stressed out, still. I had some more problems with my family which resulted in a meeting with them and the American and Russian directors, Timothy and Evgenny. It was very embarrassing and discouraging because I had to talk in English and have Timothy translate it into Russian. I can't really do everything that we're supposed to do; between talking with my family or the problems I have with them, doing homework, going on all the excursions and activities, and trying to explore the city myself while also studying on my own and being in class all day...well, I'm either behind or not doing well in everything.
Last Wednesday, we went to the Governer's mansion/administrative building. They told us we were going to meet with the actual Governor, but we ended up getting a two hour governmental presentation by his minions on the present educatonal, economical and ecological problems facing Astrakhan. After this scintillating presentation, we had a question and answer period. One of my classmates asked about the feral cat and dog problem in Astrakhan. The governmental official answered: "Problem? What problem?" Harry replied, slightly confused: "Well...the thousands of cats and dogs that roam the area." The government offical replied, after laughing: "Oh! That's not a problem! We have that under alll control." Harry asked if they considered sterlization and they didn't really reply. It's actually very sad because most of the animals have open wounds or are clearly starving. It's like a animal fight club outside my window every night, you can hear the dogs fighting and the cats shrieking.
This week has been really annoying because they didn't give us any free time or time to be on the Internet and we had a very full, long schedule. Also, we wait around all the time: for the bus, for our teachers, for our lunch, basically for everything. I think I'm going to take up smoking just so I have something to do while we wait. Yesterday, I thought that I would have some time to write this letter, but our lecture/excursion to the very off campus science/engineering labs (which are different from the off campus labs that are still within city limits) went over the allotted time as usual and they drove us back to a theater instead of school! Since I didn't sign up to see the movie, I had to find my way own way home.
I improved in all sections on the last test, but my test scores (excluding writing, apparently I write well in all languages) aren't as high as I'd like. My participation points doubled (from 20% to 40%!!). It's kind of funny though because we never really get the opportunity to participate in class...in grammar, we just read exercises for an hour and half; three hours on Wednesdays. Morale for everyone is pretty low because we're all stressed out, still. I had some more problems with my family which resulted in a meeting with them and the American and Russian directors, Timothy and Evgenny. It was very embarrassing and discouraging because I had to talk in English and have Timothy translate it into Russian. I can't really do everything that we're supposed to do; between talking with my family or the problems I have with them, doing homework, going on all the excursions and activities, and trying to explore the city myself while also studying on my own and being in class all day...well, I'm either behind or not doing well in everything.
Last Wednesday, we went to the Governer's mansion/administrative building. They told us we were going to meet with the actual Governor, but we ended up getting a two hour governmental presentation by his minions on the present educatonal, economical and ecological problems facing Astrakhan. After this scintillating presentation, we had a question and answer period. One of my classmates asked about the feral cat and dog problem in Astrakhan. The governmental official answered: "Problem? What problem?" Harry replied, slightly confused: "Well...the thousands of cats and dogs that roam the area." The government offical replied, after laughing: "Oh! That's not a problem! We have that under alll control." Harry asked if they considered sterlization and they didn't really reply. It's actually very sad because most of the animals have open wounds or are clearly starving. It's like a animal fight club outside my window every night, you can hear the dogs fighting and the cats shrieking.
After the presentation, we went back to school, to the cafeteria we lunch at everyday, and had a big, Russian dinner with singing and dancing. It was actually really fun, but about 1/2 hour after the meal, I started feeling really sick and was sick for the rest of the night. When I told my host mom that I was sick, she asked me what I ate for dinner and I said fish appetizers and pork shashlik. She then asked if it was hot or cold (it was both) and then if I drank cold water. I said it wasn't really cold, but she gave me a disapproving look and said that the water was the precise reason why I was feeling ill. Natasha's friend, Tanya, solemnly explained to me (in English; she spent a year in Texas) that when you drink cold (or apparently even room temperature water) with shashlik, the greasy oil from the shashlik and cold water cannot mix and that is why I had such a horrible stomach ache. I was in pain for most of the night but I wanted to go to school because we had a writing test that day. However, my host mom called Evgenny and told him that I was incredibly ill and was not able to go to school under any circumstances, so I stayed at home. Since I was "so ill," I was only allowed to eat hot soup and drink hot tea. Water was out of the question. It was an interesting day!
This Sunday I was finally able to go to Church service at one of the Kharms. I went to the Kremil' and it was just awesome. The singing was beautiful and it was interesting to watch the priest performing the service (and believe me, it's definitely a performance! And two hours long. And you stand--or bow--the whole time). After that, there was a festival in the center of town. I guess it's like Valentines day, but more interesting because people in America don't dress up as if they're getting married and dance in the middle of the square. There was Russian national dancing and singing and kvass, which I was excited to taste. I read about it in a Russian folktale It's a slightly alcoholic drink (but really not at all, kids here drink it....though I guess that's not saying much) made out of black bread, water and sugar. It really doesn't taste good. But it was hot outside and like my director said "better than drinking vodka."
This weekend we're going on a long excursion to a Buddhist city that is located in Russia but I guess it's own sovereign state. We'll get to tour the temples and see other interesting things. Timothy promised us that it is interesting, but that's what he said about the Fish museums and laboratories....we'll see.
Well, I have to go. Natasha is going to Moscow tonight, so everything is crazy here right now.
Hope all is well!
Hope all is well!
Do Svidaniia,
Maria
No comments:
Post a Comment